Monday, April 23, 2012

Come For a Walk with Me:-)

Fifteen years ago, with my weight well over the 200 lb mark, I knew I needed some kind of divine intervention.  Please, Lord, save me from my self!!  I prayed.  I had two daughters, one a tender nine year old in a girl scout troupe----I think the event that pushed me over the edge was the Mother/Daughter Tea that was held one day, in which photos of each Mother and daughter were taken.  There I was, looking distorted and......sorry to put it this way.....like a beached whale in a stretchy purple dress.   My little Becky was snuggled up next to me,  full of promise, and I thought "She needs a better picture of womanhood than I'm providing."  My heart broke as I came face to face with my need and my failure.

Right about then, a new weight loss program was making the rounds-----the Prism program.  I had, of course, tried all kinds of diets.  Because they didn't get under the surface of why I was overeating, the weight loss never lasted.  This program was a little different-----it was based on Christian principles, had daily readings and journaling, and there was a weekly group meeting.  There was also a sensible attitude about what you put in your mouth, and how much.

 I could not afford the entry fee, but I was inspired just by the sensible diet.  I began to count my calories diligently, abstaining from sugar and white flour, and as the months went by,  the weight came off.  I was elated!

But-----are you surprised?-----by the next year, I could feel my new size 14 pants getting tighter, I saw my resolve slipping, and I knew I needed more help.  I needed accountability.

And right about then, announcements started coming from the pulpit at our church about a Prism group starting there.  I scraped together the fee and made the commitment.

Well.   It was eye-opening.  What a humbling experience for this "do-it-yourself-er"  The videos, the daily journaling, the weekly accountability, the curriculum itself----all of them forced me to take a much more penetrating look at this issue of overeating.  I went through all the phases of the program, eventually becoming a co-leader.  My very favorite part was writing devotionals for that group and sharing them weekly.

Many years have passed.  I stayed at my right weight for five years, and have never gone back to my original 200-plus size (thank God!).  But the local group dissolved, life happened, both my daughters got married and now have children of their own, and last year, my husband of 36 years had a devastating stroke.   His disability is so severe that I am unable to care for him here at home.  So there has been a great deal of loss, transition, change in my life.  During the year following the stroke, I found myself abandoning all the old guidelines----almost just to see what would happen.   Even though I myself could have told you what would happen.  I think that's called.....DENIAL:-)

SO.......

A couple of weeks ago, a friend mentioned that there is a new PRISM group in town, and I perked up.   I knew it was time to re-visit the program and dig deeper into this subject of overeating.   If you, like me, have a lifelong struggle with this issue, I invite you to walk along with me as I face my nemesis.  With the help of Christ, I know I will see the temptations with new eyes.  I already do.  This blog is my place to describe the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment